Monday, July 18, 2011

A Lettered Mirror



I was in the loveliest boutique a few weeks ago in the quaint town of Lodi, CA, when I chanced upon an oversized capital letter hanging on the wall. I had seen something similar in the blogosphere sometime back although it seemed such a quick glance I cannot recall from where it came. The one close up though really made an impression on me and I thought I might try it in my own home. So off to my local craft store I went where I purchased a 36" hollow cardboard letter, some wired ribbon in a color I thought would blend with my decor, a piece of green felt and a package of sheet moss.

When I got home with my supplies I proceeded to walk about my house holding up the big W and wondering just where in the world I was going to put the finished product. I don't have much wall space that isn't being utilized so I thought hanging it over the mirror above the fireplace would be lovely. The only problem was the 36" letter was way too big for the mirror.  This is what happens when I don't take the time to measure ;)  So I ended up exchanging the large letter for a smaller one which fit much better. While at the craft store I searched and searched for a spray adhesive which I thought would work perfectly for this project but found they had none. I not a big fan of my hot glue gun but thought good ol' Elmers School Glue should do the trick just fine. It dries clear, is non-toxic and holds up pretty well. After all, all those kindergarten projects from 1983 are still intact, right?



I loved working with the sheet moss!  I have never worked with moss, sheet or otherwise, but this stuff was easy peasy!

Back view with the felt

After piecing and gluing all the moss on, I glued the whole sheet of felt over the back and cut off the overage with scissors.  


You can see in the pic above how I attached the ribbon.  Thumbtacks!  =) They went into the back of the cardboard letter and into the top of the mirror frame.  The mirror is really high up and I promise you can't see them from a normal height.  I was standing on a table to take this pic.


This was a super easy, really quick craft.  It took me about an hour altogether.  And that is including the six interruptions of "Mommy, baby sister has my car!" and "Waaahhh!"

Before this project, my mantle was washed out and dull.  I love the way the W brings your eye up and adds a splash of color.  Although you can't see it in the photos, there is a green French style vase in the niche to the left so I think this works perfectly!

Happy Decorating!

Linked to:
Keeping It Simple Photobucket ”Creative
Stuff and Nonsense vif187 Photobucket Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party! UndertheTableandDreaming

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Nice! Great idea!

Unknown said...

Hopping over from Tatertots and Jello. I wanted to tell you I love your 'W'. Looks great!

Dacia said...

Looks lovely!

The Charm of Home said...

That is really awesome! I love how it turned out. I saw one similar this week on a front door wreath and it was great. Love it on the mirror. I can so relate to the kids getting you off track! That happens around here every day. It is almost always "I'm hungry."! Teenage boys!
Sherry

Carmella said...

I am so glad you linked up with Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop, I am co-hosting this week and I am so happy I found you there! I am now following! I hope you can stop by and visit soon!

creativecarmella.blogspot.com

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I'm so honored that you chose to join the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you for adding this special masterpiece to rock my party :)

Inspired By June said...

Wow! This turned out great, Kelly! I've been collecting letter art ideas.... adding yours! Thanks for sharing!